Downpipe gutters are the main part of drainage systems that are installed on the roof of your home to collect rainwater and keep them safe from water pooling. The pipes constitute to be a major part of a gutter system, and if there is any blockage or leakage, it can lead to extensive property damages. Therefore, cleaning your downpipe gutters should be part of your to-do list. For gutter cleaning in Vancouver, the best time is when the rainy season is around the corner.
Maintaining Downpipe Gutters
It is important to keep the downpipe gutters clean for proper functioning during rains. As drainage is part of the storm-water systems, it is recommended to clean them during the autumn season as most of the blockages are caused by leaves, dirt, and debris. All these factors, when combined together, affect the mechanism of the storm-water system and causes damages to the property.
Plumbing can be connected to the roof in the form of a trough alongside the running structure, a parapet gutter, or a valley gutter. Using gutter guards is also helpful in preventing damages caused by clogged gutters. However, once you have installed the pipes, you have to clean them to avoid impairments to the structure.
Damages Rendered by Blocked Downpipe Gutters
If you don’t proper gutter cleaning in Vancouver, blocked drains can accumulate water on the roofs, which triggers dampening of walls and mold buildup known to extremely harmful to your health. Also, it can result in a reverse water flow, which can flood your home. Water buildup on the rooftop can prompt a particular stench and may act as a breeding ground for mosquitos and several other harmful insects. Damages caused by flooding or dampening of blocked drains is mostly not covered in the insurance policy of the home, so it is vital to clean the pipes regularly.
Scouring the Drainage System
When you are cleaning the downpipe gutters in Vancouver, you should follow these tips to get rid of the debris and dirt.
- Safety is priority – when climbing on the roof, make sure that your ladder and other tools are not causing any hindrances.
- If not using any specialized tools, you can use a long-handled brush and a water hose to clean the debris.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands. Remove any dirt or leaves that are stuck in the drain.
- If there is moss or algae growing due to the moisture, remove it by applying cleaning solutions and scrubbing it. Remember not to leave the cleaning solution for too long as it damages the pipes.
- Use an auger if the downpipe is blocked. Augers help in unclogging the pipes and pushing the material blocking them out.
- Use the water hose to wash down the pipes thoroughly.
Cleaning your downpipe gutter may seem to be an easy job, but to clean it properly and avoid any unfortunate accidents due to height of roof requires expertise and experience as well as the right tools. Depending on the type of pipe material and structure of the drainage system, it is necessary to use the correct equipment. Call the professional gutter cleaners in Vancouver from Quick Sidekick to handle the job, giving you peace of mind that your drainage system works smoothly throughout the year.