A high percentage of senior citizens live alone in Vancouver, so having a home that is safe and comfortable for them becomes a priority. A comfortable home for the elderly is the one in which performing everyday chores is as easy as possible.
Living in your own homes is comparatively cheaper than in nursing homes or opting for home care services. Assisted living generally costs old age citizens more than $30,000 a year, whereas remodeling or adding modifications will only cost $8000-$10,000 for the complete project.
For this, professional handyman services in Vancouver are available to provide customized and reliable solutions to the senior citizens. They can help with all the small changes that can make a significant impact on the lifestyle of senior citizens.
Looking for information on how much will it cost you to get your home painted by professional companies in Vancouver?
Read this blog post to find out!
Remodeling and adding modifications in homes
Adding simple changes makes it easier for senior citizens to do everyday chores. Here are some modifications that are generally necessary for the elderly:
- Adding more lights: a well-lit home is a necessity for the senior citizens to easily move around the house, as everything is prominently visible to keep themselves from getting injured and doesn’t strain their vision.
- Wide doorways and ramps: Some old people use wheelchairs for movement around their homes, so it is vital to have wide doors so that the wheelchair can easily pass through from room to room. Similarly, installing ramps outside the main entrance helps them to move freely between indoors and outdoors.
- Kitchen remodeling: most of the kitchen appliances are too high, which is difficult for the elderly to reach. It is essential to remodel the kitchen by installing all the machines and cabinetry more closely to the kitchen counters so that people using a wheelchair can easily reach them.
- Bathroom remodeling: many accidents occur in bathrooms due to slipping on the wet floors. Expert handymen in Vancouver recommend replacing bathtubs with walk-in showers. Also, the addition of safety bars on the walls prevents slipping on the tiles. If one doesn’t want to remove the bathtub, you can add safety bars in and outside the tubs and put a transfer bathtub bench on the side of the baths.
- Flooring: the floors have to be leveled, and the rooms should be on the same levels instead of having stairs in between them. The leveled flooring makes it easier to move around the home in the wheelchair. Carpeting should be avoided as it makes it difficult to push the wheelchair. Tiles and laminate flooring are ideal, but they also increase the chance of slipping, so add on floor mats to avoid any accidents.
To do all these modifications, it is recommended that you engage reliable handyman services in Vancouver to change your home exactly as per your need.
Hire an Expert for the Job
It is challenging to select the right handyman service in Vancouver out of many options available, but extensive experience, certifications, and insured technicians are generally the signs that indicate the credibility of a company.
At Quick Sidekick, we are just a call away to remodel your home to suit your lifestyle!